Independent Living Resources:
Education Early Intervention Preschool Special Education Post Secondary/Transition/Life Planning Employment and Training Family Support Health Care Behavioral Home Care Housing Recreation Respite Transportation
Council Member Testifies to Michgian Department of Transportation Commission
On March 19th SILC Council member Robin Bennett provided public comment to the Michigan Department of Transportation on her personal experience with transportation in the State.
In addition to her personal testimony, Robin presented the SILC Council position paper on transportation.
Job Position Available with Michgian SILC:
Systems Advocacy Director:
Job Location: Michigan Statewide Independent Living Council Office, 417 Seymour Suite 10, Lansing MI 48933
Job Title: Systems Advocacy Director
Status: Full-Time, Hourly, benefits package available
Number of Positions Open: 1
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
Who maybe considered:
- Personal experience with disability and/or extensive knowledge of disability issues.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field and at least 3 year’s experience or documented experience in a similar position for 5 or more years;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Independent Living Philosophy.
- Demonstrated experience with working with state and federal policy-makers.
- Provide leadership and support to advance the jointly developed systems advocacy goals, as stated in the current State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL). A copy of the SPIL can be found at: http://misilc.org/state-plan-for-independent-living/
- Engages in state and federal policy research and analysis, develops position statements and white papers, provides/coordinates testimony at legislative hearings for the purpose of advancing legislation that enhances Independent Living.
- Leads the development of the Common Disability Agenda by coordinating with multiple disability organizations across Michigan, including the coordination of forums and development of other tools to solicit stakeholder input.
- Coordinates SPIL system advocacy strategy with the SILC and Disability Network/Michigan to advance Independent Living (IL) in Michigan for people with disabilities.
- Builds relationships and positively represents the Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) and the IL Network to multiple stakeholders, including state and federal policy-makers.
- Participates in the development of future SPILs, specifically in the area of systems change and improvement.
- Must be flexible with the daily work schedule, including occasional evening hours and overnight travel.
- Personal transportation with a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance as required by law or ability to establish personal transportation.
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2015
How to apply: Please Email resume, cover letter and any references to Rodney@misilc.org or mail to Michigan SILC Office, 417 Seymour Suite 10, Lansing MI 48933 for consideration. Persons with a disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contact Information: Rodney Craig, 417 Seymour Suite 10 Lansing MI 48933, 517-371-4872
February 13th SILC Council Business Meeting Draft Minutes:
November 21st SILC Council Business Meeting Draft Minutes:
Community Statewide Needs Assessment (CSNA) Report Released
On Friday, May 23 the final version of the Community Statewide Needs Assessment was released by Project Excellence at Michigan State University.
A copy of the report can be downloaded at the following link: Michigan Statewide Needs Assessment (2014) PDF Format